Friday, January 25, 2013

Add to Goodreads
Title: Vortex
Author: Julie Cross
Narrator: Matthew Brown
Series: Tempest, book #2
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Publication Date: January 15, 2013
Source: audio from publisher for review
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible

Julie Cross's Vortex is the thrilling second installment of the Tempest series, in which the world hangs in the balance as a lovelorn Jackson must choose who to save.

Jackson Meyer has thrown himself into his role as an agent for Tempest, the shadowy division of the CIA that handles all time-travel-related threats. Despite his heartbreak at losing the love of his life, Jackson has proved himself to be an excellent agent. However, after an accidental run in with Holly—the girl he altered history to save—Jackson is once again reminded of what he's lost. And when Eyewall, an opposing division of the CIA, emerges, Jackson and his fellow agents not only find themselves under attack, but Jackson begins to discover that the world around him has changed and someone knows about his erased relationship with Holly, putting both their lives at risk all over again.


I must say, this book is aptly named.  I'm not going to lie...this book confused the heck out of me.  Much worse than the first book.  And I was all set to not love it because of that, but then somewhere along the way, it hit its stride.  And despite still being thoroughly confused by the laws of time travel, I reconnected with the story.

There isn't nearly as much time travelling done in Vortex as there was in Tempest, but there was a lot of discussion about it as Jackson tried to figure out just how far his capabilities reached.  He's also now training as a Tempest agent, and so he's learning more about his role in the agency, as well.  All the while, he's trying to forget Holly.

I love a good story told from the male perspective, and this series is no different.  But whereas I never fully connected with Jackson in the first book, I actually felt that his emotions were raw and genuine this time around.  Maybe because he's lost so much....the love of his life, his best friend, any chance at a normal life.  But it was also in the way he approached new relationships.  It's gratifying to see that he's changed so much from the playboy he was before.  And he's actually close to his father now, whom he needs more than ever.  His character has definitely shown a lot of growth over the pages of these two books.

Admittedly, Jackson didn't make up for the lack of Holly or Adam, though.  Adam's absence was felt for the entirety of the book, but Holly did become an integral part of the story midway through the story.  Though I can't say her presence was entirely comforting.  She is definitely not Jackson's 009 Holly, but that's all I can say without giving too much away.

The narrator for this audiobook is fabulous.  As he's reading, I believe that he believes he is Jackson Meyer, so convincing is his portrayal.  He actually sounds much like I imagine Jackson would sound...young and intelligent, with a bit of swagger.  And he doesn't use a high-pitched voice to represent female dialogue, which is always a plus.

After the events of Vortex, I am even more intrigued with this storyline.  I'm really hoping the time travel antics are fully explained in book three, but even if I'm still unable to comprehend the science behind it, at least the consequences still make for a great story.  And even if I hadn't been fully on board with this book, that ending was enough to guarantee that I'll be reading the next installment.  It was a whirlwind journey, but explosive doesn't even begin to describe the ending of Vortex.

Rating:    photo 4-1.png

Be sure to stop by and enter to win your own copy of Tempest and/or Vortex (depending on your location) at my stop of the Back to the Future Giveaway Hop!



3 comments:

  1. I was all jazzed to read this and then I didn't because Tempest got such mixed reviews. I do love TIme Travel and I am seriously reconsidering. I think I would definitely do better to read it though if it is confusing as I am such a visual learner. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% about Adam! While reading it didn't quite feel right without him there! And Holly was definitely not my favourite in this book, which is sad because I did like her in Tempest. I also connected a lot more with Jackson in this book, and I found that made me like the book much more than I had liked Tempest. That being said, I loved Tempest, so I ADORED Vortex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did really like the first book but I really don't remember too much and with the little bit of confusion you mentioned, I am a tiny bit apprehensive to pick up this sequel. I know I will at some point though because I would like to know what happens next. Sad Adam is missing too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...