Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible | Goodreads
Title:  Gilt
Author:  Katherine Longshore
Narrator:  Jennifer Ikeda
Series:  1st book in The Royal Circle series
Publisher:  Penguin Audiobooks
Publication Date:  May 15, 2012
Source:  purchased audiobook

In the court of King Henry VIII, nothing is free—-and love comes at the highest price of all.

When Kitty Tylney’s best friend, Catherine Howard, worms her way into King Henry VIII’s heart and brings Kitty to court, she’s thrust into a world filled with fabulous gowns, sparkling jewels, and elegant parties. No longer stuck in Cat’s shadow, Kitty’s now caught between two men—the object of her affection and the object of her desire. But court is also full of secrets, lies, and sordid affairs, and as Kitty witnesses Cat’s meteoric rise and fall as queen, she must figure out how to keep being a good friend when the price of telling the truth could literally be her head.



This book was not what I was expecting at all.  It’s not your average historical fiction, full of glittering gowns and fancy balls.  Those are there, but more than anything, this book is about honor and betrayal and duty.  If you’re looking for a happily ever after where the fair maiden ends up spending her days toiling around in a castle and generally being merry, you might want to pass on Gilt.  However, if what you’re looking for is a more realistic look at what life at court was like during the reign of King Henry VIII, you might enjoy this novel.
I’m not very familiar with the Tudor period, but it’s apparent that the author did her research when recreating that time period in the world of Gilt.  The details are there in all their sparkling glory, from the décor to the way the characters regard each other based on station.  The world, although lavish, is not as pristine and dazzling as I had anticipated based on the title of the book.  Sometimes it’s even slightly dreary, especially the descriptions of the dowager duchess’s estate prior to the king’s visit.
The romance in the novel wasn’t what I expected either.  At this point in history, women were not allowed to choose their own husbands, so I expected some type of secret relationship to blossom.  What I was not expecting, however, was the direction that relationship would take and what path it would lead our young heroine down.  The synopsis makes it seem as if one of those ubiquitous love triangles is employed to further the story, but I assure you something far more sinister is at play in this novel.  I’m not sure I liked the love story, but you can’t argue with history, right?
I also found it really difficult to like or even connect with any of the characters.  The only person other than Kitty who had any sense of morality was one William Gibbon, the object of Kitty’s affections, and he was absent for much of the novel.  I almost despised all of the characters from court, including Kitty’s best friend Cat, who was also England’s new queen after much conniving and manipulation.  So many lies and so much betrayal!  These people all let their loyalties to each other override their sense of honor and duty and it could all ultimately lead to their heads on a chopping block.  But no one stops things before they go too far.
The author has outdone herself with this world full of deception and intrigue.  I can’t say I loved this story because honestly, it’s really kind of sad, in a dark and twisted way.  It’s a great read for anyone who loves historical fiction, though, or for anyone who can enjoy a story for the ride, not the destination.

Rating:  Photobucket 1/2

Book-A-Likes:  the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray


8 comments:

  1. tnx 4 the review
    history was not pretty at times

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it is about historical fictions, because I usually end up liking them when I do read them, but it seems like I always have to be somehow forced into reading the damn things (unless they're historical fantasies, in which case I'm all about it).

    Maybe it's like you said and I just can't get excited about the sad truths involved in some of these stories, even though I appreciate them after reading it. So I'm not sure that I'll ever pick this one up without being nudged into it, even though it sounds like it might be pretty good. In a sad, but honest way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally like historical fiction, but I prefer it with at least a smidge of fantasy for sure. The truth is rarely as pretty as what we imagine, and I'm less likely to pick up something based mostly in truth. Guess I should have researched this one a little better, and I might have liked it more if I'd known what I was getting into.

      Delete
  3. I don't usually listen to audiobooks cause i find the voices less than appealing but maybe one day. Anyways, i like your review. very thorough, the book does have an alluring cover and i've heard a lot of people going on about the plot but sometimes when you have a lot of expectations you tend to get disappointed. I hope i read this with my cup empty and not expecting too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare that I find an audiobook where I really dislike the narrator, but it does happen and it does detract from the actual story. But sometimes the same narrator for one book can be really good for a different book, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

      Delete
  4. Really great review! I've seen this book around a lot lately but I've been kind of unsure of it. I just wasn't sure if it was my kind of book. Maybe if my TBR pile gets smaller I'll pick up a copy. But for now I have a lot of "great" books to fill my time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that all the time..."maybe when my review pile starts dwindling"...haha.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...