Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Audiobook Review: Eve by Anna Carey

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 with 6 comments
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible | Goodreads
Title:  Eve
Author:  Anna Carey
Narrator:  Tavia Gilbert
Series:  1st book in the Eve series
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Publication Date:  October 4, 2011
Source:  purchased audiobook

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.



Another day, another post-apocalyptic novel.  I’ve read a ton of them in the last year or so, and I don’t feel like I’m burned out yet on this subgenre.  I still think there are plenty more out there and plenty more waiting to grace the shelves with their presence, and it’s likely that I’ll enjoy the majority of them.  Unfortunately, Eve wasn’t one of those.

The story was flat, there was little back-story provided, and nothing of great importance seemed to happen in the book.  Sure, there was some action and running for the hills, that sort of thing, but as for anything pertaining to the demise of the world Eve finds herself a part of, nada.  It was a lot of running.  Okay, well, trying to escape.  Eve didn’t actually run the whole time.  It went more like this:  escape, run, get rescued, run, get captured, run, sanctuary at last.  Or something along those lines.
Eve was such an annoying protagonist.  She was naïve, self-absorbed, and ridiculously whiney.  Oh, and she has terrible judgment.  Her only redeeming quality was her idea to teach the boys who rescued her how to read.  Sometimes, I can look past an unworthy heroine if the plot is good or the love interest is commendable.  Alas, neither is the case.  Caleb was chivalrous to a fault, endangering his own life in more than one instance for the very unworthy Eve.  I could get on board with that…if the guy weren’t lacking a personality. 
Everyone and everything in this novel was just so generic.  It lacked any detail or depth.  It was like a watered-down version of Lauren Oliver’s Delirium.  A girl who was perfectly content with her non-life is finally let in on the secret, and she reacts by escaping and falling for a boy.  That wouldn’t be so bad if there was actually some substance to this book.
Tavia Gilbert is one of my favorite narrators.  She narrated the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost and many other audiobooks I’ve loved.  Sadly, her narration of Eve is the only thing that helped me to finish the book.  She lent an air of petulance to Eve’s character that really drove home just how infuriating Eve was and it left me wondering how anyone could have gone out of their way to rescue this frustrating, naïve girl.
I’m not sure if I’ll pick up the next book.  Maybe if/when the audio is on sale and if Tavia is the narrator.  I had really high hopes for this book, but sadly, I was unimpressed.

Rating:  Photobucket

Book-A-Likes:  Delirium by Lauren Oliver, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

** As of the date this review was posted, B&N is offering up the Nook book of Eve for $2.99, and Audible is offering the audiobook at $7.86 for members in the You Pick Sale.




6 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy it...i've been getting a lot of mix reviews so maybe i should read it and see for myself. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen some rave reviews for it, but it just didn't hold my interest. Hopefully, it'll be different for you if you do decide to give it a read.

      Delete
  2. Aw, man! This one looked good, but we know you can't judge a book by its cover, the synopsis, or even a few rave reviews! I am going to have to pass on a watered-down version of one of my most beloved books. Thank you for the honest, insightful review, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I remember this is one of the books that was on my Xmas list. Glad you went with Dearly, Departed! :P

      Delete
  3. I was going to get this one for christmas too! So glad I didn't. All the mixed reviews made me wait.

    I love your comparison to delirium. too funny, I lol'd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't read any reviews before I listened to this one. I thought it was probably decent, but I just never connected with the characters, and I felt like I'd just wasted 8 hours listening to the same old story. :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...